Sunday, May 13, 2007

Chasing the Cheshire Cat

I don't normally theme my knitting to my research output. In fact, I never do; this is just coincidence. Two recent FOs.
chasing the cheshire cat

One, a recently published essay applying the concept of 'invisible boundaries' to a version of Alice in Wonderland retold to teach quantum physics (much is made of the Cheshire Cat's appearing and re-appearing). Nestled on top, the storytellers socks, complete with illusion knit (cheshire) cat.

You aren't getting full photos of the socks. Those have been taken, but are to be emailed to Robynn later today, along with the pattern, you'll have to check out the storytellers site for that.

My next paper's on branding. Maybe I should knit a logo.

EDIT: My essay is pretty obscure. But if you're looking for books that use stories to explain modern physics, the best place to start is with this author.

10 comments:

strikkegal said...

Wow... As a physics teacher I'd love a copy of that essay, looks like it's in a book, so now I'm wondering about the title :) Sounds like a "must have" for those "not very interested but my parents are making me take physics"-students in highschool!

Sarah said...

Congratulations on the publication! (And I can't wait to see the socks.)

Alexis said...

Woo, shiny publication! And excellent life convergence, of course.

Can I have the reference please?

Brenda said...

Congratulations on both FOs! Well done!

Anonymous said...

hat's my favorite story!waouw!

Pebble said...

Hello, I'm the long suffering boyfriend of a mad knitter. Love her as I do (and I do) she has pointed your boyfriend friendly socks of last year. I am intrigued, what did said BF make of them as I suspect I might be receiving some soon and am curious about the male perspective (if that isn't a contradiction in terms).
My girlfriend is looking forward to seeing the pattern for the chesire socks.

badmomgoodmom said...

What do you think about George Gamov's books? I haven't read them in a long time, but I enjoyed the stories in "Mr. Tompkins in Paperback" as a teenager.

www.muebles-en-zamora.com said...

Pretty effective piece of writing, thanks for the post.

online pharmacy said...

sounds pretty cool actually, i also read some recommendations on internet about some chapters and some unsolved mysteries, that really makes me happy.

pathrecords said...

Wow, there is so much effective info above!