Thursday, January 01, 2009

Two Xmas FOs

We're having household Christmas next week, and Christmas with my little brother in a couple of months*, so this is just the first instalment of gift-knits. The others are still secret. 

Mum's socks side

First up, a pair of walking socks for my mother. They are walking rather than anything thing else because they were part of a walkers' pile of presents. She had a 'during' set, comprising of a book of walks by the River, some gingerbread toffee, blister plasters and the socks. Then a 'post-walk' set, with some sockyarn for knitting herself (I gave her Knitting Vintage Socks for her birthday last month), a graphic novel and posh chocolates.

Mum's socks sole

Pattern: Arch-Shaped Socks, done in complete rib, inspired by Zebra. I improvised my toe as I couldn't find instructions from other ribbed versions, but I've forgotten what I did, so please don't ask!
Yarn: Dream in Color Smooshy in Blue Lagoon from Socktopus.
Needles: 2.5 addi lace circ, a long one as I did them two at once.
Ravelled here.

Secondly, a jumper for my boyfriend. I told him its a 'first draft sweater', if it doesn't quite fit he shouldn't write off future jumpers, because I'll know to do bits tighter, looser, longer or shorter next time. That said, it works pretty well. The arms are a bit too long - comic handknitted jumper style - so I might steek them a couple of thumbholes. Personally, I think it could be longer on the body, but he likes it and has been wearing it two days in three, so has got on to a good start.

Marcus jumper wrist

Pattern: Zimmerman's seamless hybrid. I'll use this again for him, and possibly my little brother if I ever feel the need to knit him a jumper. The mix of raglan and saddle really does give good shoulders. All the stocking stitch was a bit boring, but once you get to the yoke its oodles of fun. Plus no seaming. The pattern is a bit hard to follow in places, simply because its a hybrid of other patterns she keeps saying 'like this other sweater', which involves a lot of cross-referencing.

Marcus jumper shoulders

Yarn:  New Lanark Mills DK (the 10% silk/ 90% wool mix) in Blue John, with Cobalt contrast hems. This stuff is great. And so cheap. I really can't sing its praises enough.
Needles: 2.75 and 3.25mm addi lace circs. 
Ravelled here.

seamless marcus (smile)

* He's living in Syria for a year and hasn't got around to getting himself an address, so he can wait till I see him next for his presents. He spent the day at work (the British Council) which apparently consisted of full Christmas dinner, playing the Damascus version of monopoly and watching the Sound of Music. 

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

gorgeous jumper! and thanks for the tip on the yarn. i think i might use it for a slipover for my bf. :)

Katie said...

Lovely jumper, and thanks for the sock pattern link. I've been meaning to make a pair like that in ages!

Anonymous said...

Both are beautiful! Rather than knit my boyfriend a curse sweater, I'm teaching him to knit- I'll have to show him your sweater.

CelticCastOn said...

aweseome sweater! I love it!!

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Sweater is beautiful! Socks, too!

Anonymous said...

Those socks are fab - I'll have to bear that pattern in mind. and the sweater looks great. I adore the New Lanark stuff - it's such good value and great quality!

Team Knit said...

oh wow, those socks and that sweater are simply stunning!! Awesome FOs.

- Julie

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

The Seamless Hybrid is a winner for sure, and watching The Sound of Music on Christmas sounds like a lot of fun, lucky bro!

Queen of the Tea Cosies said...

Cute man made even cuter in hand knitted jumper. Good man wot wears knitted jumper. Good woman wot knits for good man.

spajonas said...

looks like your BF loves his sweater! he's positively glowing :) merry christmas and happy new year!

Elinor said...

Both are beautiful FOs! I've been contemplating those socks to see if a non-traditional pattern would bring my sock mojo back! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I see what you mean about the cost of that yarn! Incredible!

Veronique said...

Love the socks! The fit seems fantastic :)
Impressive boyfriend sweater! I think the long arms makes it quite snuggly.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Great jumper! Looks lovely. Happy New Year

Lisa said...

I just ran across your scarf in the Spring 06 Knitty and I wanted to thank you for taking the time to explain how to turn the work and twist the strands. I wasn't sure how I was suppose to make the edges of a double knit close up (for lack of a better phrase) and now I see it's so simple, but I wasn't finding any really good instructions. So thank you.

Anonymous said...

The arch shaped socks are fantastic in rib, that really makes the pattern! Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Aren't those Arch socks fantastic and snug? Lovely shades of blue you chose. I cried buckets about how much shipping it cost for the Lanark yarn, but at least I can admire yours!!

Anonymous said...

the socks pattern are lovely (looks complicated)

Prachi said...

This is a really late comment, but I surfed to your page from someone else's Ravelry comments about your arch-shaped socks. I like the overall ribbed idea and your photos gave me a good idea of how they will look. Gorgeous photos, gorgeous colour!

muebles en barcelona said...

Here, I do not actually imagine it will have effect.