Monday, April 17, 2006

decomposing to clap


So I had this great idea of a "decomposing lace" scarf. Small patches of detailed lace randomly running in and out of a basic stocking stitch base. I'd take a load of virgin merino and dye the poop out of it with kool aid. It'd be georgous, they're be some 70s style environmental comment in there somewhere (trust me, I'm working to be a Dr on this) and I'd submit it to the college art competition.

I dyed the yarn. I had fun. It turned out yummy.

I dried it, I balled it and got my needles out. I tried a rectangle and a triangle and a rectangle again. I tried several different lace patterns. I came to two conclusions:

1) The yarn was more verigated than I planned. This is in many ways a good thing. But too verigated for this rather mixed texture design. I don't really like complex stitch patterns with complex colour mixes.

2) The image of the design I had in my head lost something in the translation to pattern. Looking at it knitted up, I realised the mental image actually used two different weights of yarn, the lace a detailed 4ply, the rest of it a garter/ stocking stitch cloud of aran.

So I gave up the decomposing lace idea (for now - I may return once I've learnt to crochet, probably in plain white or cream). Instead I thought I'd make my very own exchequered. I thought I could work the MC and CC both as this kool aid yarn, because the slight stripes would been gently broken up by the swap at each box. It'd be a lot more subtle than the black and yellow, but that should be a good thing.

However... turns out? The yarn? For this idea? Isn't verigated ENOUGH. Plus double knit with the same colours is a pain in the bottom. Frogged again.

So a load of dk weight verigated yarn?

What's a knitter to do?

Clapotis of course.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Rock on with the Clapotis.

And your yarn looks much nicer than the Kool Aid dyed yarn I remember making as a kid. What's your secret?

vardakeerutaja said...

ahhaa... you, too!LOL

Anonymous said...

the call of the clapotis gets us all in the end

Anonymous said...

Yay clapotis!

I got my yarn from Canada today, so I can now clapote at leisure.

Well, after I ball it up I can...

Anonymous said...

Your yarn is lovely and choosing a basic/geometric pattern is a wise move. It's so sad to see a gorgeous lacey piece camouflaged by the yarn.

Anonymous said...

great to see a knitter saying she'll leave an idea till she can crochet.

not something you usually see.

Anonymous said...

My Clapotis is the most useful, wearable knitted object that I've made. In fact, I'm wearing it right now!
Enjoy yours :)

Penis Enlargement said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

VigRX Plus said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about information and love learning more on this. If possible, as you gain expertise, It is extremely helpful for me. would you mind updating your blog with more information

muebles said...

A great deal of effective info for me!