Wednesday, August 23, 2006

luxury tweed tanktop done


The slipover I've been making for my flatmate's birthday is done. I am holding it ransome till she seams the skirt she made me for my birthday, but the details can go up now.

Pattern: Nice design, but badly written. It works - there are no actual mistakes, it’s simply hard to read. The instructions are clear enough, but badly structured. I'd like to know instructions in the order I'd need to apply them thank you. But a nice enough pattern. I modified it to do 1x1 rather than 2x2 ribbing. But that is just because I'm stupid and didn't read that bit of the pattern properly*.

Yarn: Luxury Tweed. Mmmmm. Nice yarn. Nice colours.

Needles: 3.75mm circular addis for the back. I swapped to straights for the intarsia. I hate working on long needles, I feel ungainly. They were an old pair of metal ones that used to belong to my mother, and ok (for straights). The only 3.25mm circular we had was bamboo. Bamboo is not the needle for this yarn, the friction was just stupid. Plus these are the sorts of bamboo circs that have the annoying little bobbles at the join between needle and wire.

I actually quite enjoyed knitting this. I learnt to knit backwards and had a play with continental knitting too. It was fun and I'm very pleased with the finished product which I think'll suit Kirsty lots.

* Actually its because it said work "in rib" and I forgot to check which rib they meant. Would it hurt to say which rib when you are asking the knitter to start the ribbing, really? I know I have a below average short term memory (part of delights of being dyslexic) but well, pah gah blah blah blah (occasional failing of vocabulary also pleasure of dyslexia).

19 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That looks wonderful! Your flatmate will love it. I hate badly written patterns, too - there's no reason for it, when it's just as easy to get it right. But you produced a lovely FO nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

It looks so neat! Well done

Anonymous said...

It looks so neat! Well done

spajonas said...

looks great! all of that intarsia! you certainly are a good flatmate :)

Veronique said...

What a beautiful vest! I really like the muted yet bodl colors that you picked. It's a great gfit, but I have to agree with you, do not give it up until you have your birthday skirt! Fair is fair, I say. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your sweater looks absolutely amazing! I love the colors, too. What color is the purple shade?

Prof. Knitwit said...

Wow! That looks fantastic! I wish I had you as my flatmate!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have to say it's really beautiful. It looks so soft and cuddly and the colors are lovely!

Gina said...

I wish someone would devise a uniform structure and style for patterns. The vest is lovely.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about some patterns expecting you to have a perfect short term memory.

but it is a lovely FO from what I can see the 1x1 rib suits it

Anushka said...

It is absolutely beautiful - your flatmate will be indebtted to you for life. :)

scarletprincess said...

The vest look amazing! I have a thing for carrying on with my idea of what the pattern meant too... but mostly because I'm too excited at the start of a design to check everything. I really ought to make myself read through it first!

Alice said...

I would be extremely pleased with myself if I had knitted such an object. I would also be pleased if someone gave it to me as a gift.

I had a problem with a lace pattern recently. I know how irritating it is.

Anonymous said...

I had to leave a comment because I saw you were at 13 and that's just dangerous.

I hate bamboo needles - friction!

babu said...

I'm knitting the same vest for my daughter-in-law. How many rows of ribbing did you knit for the v-neck and for the arm hole? I lost that part of the pattern.

Alice said...

to babu:

1) I have no idea - 3, 4? do whatever looks ok.

2) when you ask questions, please find a way of letting me reply to you (i.e. email address to reply to) - hope you find this message here

Raymeds.com said...

Hello,
This an informative blog post here.... Thanks very much for the share.....

pharmacy reviews said...

I don't really like to wear this stuff, the country where i live is really cold and no one in here really cares about how a coat looks like with those shoes or pants, you know what i mean, is terrible but it can't be helped.

Chere Randzin said...

I think a lot of similar method, but I still like your blog. I will pay more attention to almost every day.
cheap super bowl 2013 jerseys free shipping
2013 pro bowl jerseys cheap free shipping