Friday, August 04, 2006

Tangled

luxury tweed slipover
I've have been working on this luxury tweed slipover for a bit. It's going to be a birthday present for my flatmate (who taught me to knit - so it has to be neat!). I've done the back, which is just plain red/ navy st st which didn't make for any interesting photos, which is which is why I've not blogged about it before. Now I'm on the colour-work.

The yarn is lovely, and the pattern's ok but I'm never the biggest fan of intarsia. Especially as said-flatmate has taken my bobbins to Italy with her for a month, so I'm doing my best with small centre-pull balls. That patten book was hiding quite a mess.

mess
But this is going slowly for reasons other than messy colour-work. I've got a huge deadline at the moment and my only knitting-time is on the bus to and from libraries. Intarsia on buses = silly, so I've got the second dna illusion sock on the go. If I manage to finish the document I'm working on, I'll be going to Fruitstock on Sunday - see you in the HipKnits section.

Till then, the content of these books are the only strands I'll be working on untangling. The initials "SSK" denote two things to me. "Slip, slip, knit" and "Sociology of Scientific Knowledge", its the latter I'm preoccupied with at present.

science studies book

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its looking good, I'm sure she'll love it!

I love luxury tweed, shame its discontinued. Cucumberpatch have/ had a great deal on it though!

spajonas said...

my husband really loves argyle socks and i've been tempted to make them but don't like intarsia. someday though i'll have to give it a shot!

Anonymous said...

I love the yarn! The vest looks fantastic. And there's a good tutorial on knitting backwards on knitty.com right now. Looks like a useful technique.

Anonymous said...

wow, that is going to look amazing when it's done, she will really love it

Sarah said...

The vest looks great, and I love the colors.

Also: good luck with your project. It'll be done soon and then you can get back to the fun stuff! (After big projects, I always spend a celebratory day just knitting and doing housework I hadn't been doing the weeks before.)

Elizabeth said...

I love that intarsia vest - really gorgeous. I've gotta learn how to do intarsia one of these days!

ofpinsandneedles said...

In Simply Fabulous Knitting, my Montse Stanley for beginners, she recommends dividing a shoe box into compartments by pushing strips of card into slits at the sides or by placing small boxes or little jars inside, making a hole in the lid above each one and threading the yarn through, then tying the box closed and turning it every time you turn your work. Not the most portable solution I realise, and probably too late for you to embark on now, but it seems like a good idea.

Hope you made it to Fruitstock and that it was great, and that work on your books is going well too. I would really have liked to have gone. Some day my meeting with real life knitters will come... :)

Unknown said...

I took a grad seminar on the sociology of science and thought that the SSK acronym was a hoot! The only person I could share that with was my boyfriend (also in the seminar). Glad to know that there are other nerds on my wavelength...

www.alicante-3d.com said...

This can't work in fact, that is exactly what I consider.

sex shop said...

I found a great deal of useful material here!

tienda-erotica.jimdo.com said...

It can't work as a matter of fact, that is what I consider.