Sunday, September 03, 2006

on the line


Pictures of my current WIP.

Veronique sent me this gorgeous yarn a while back. She remembered me saying I wanted to make an exchequered for myself, and that she thought the yarn would be perfect. The colours are amazing. The blue is like a jewel and the brown is a great match for it - it's rich enough not to dull it's glow.

I started playing with it and decided the rectangles-based pattern wasn't what I wanted. I think I was just bored by it and wanted to try something else. Something more delicate. So I played around with about 100 different arrangments of squares/ rectangle (plus a few more complex fair-isle designs) and settled on this diamond pattern.

Still, I'm not sure about it still, maybe I should just go with the exchequered pattern afterall. I might frog.

But the frogging isn't just because the pattern.

*clears throat*

I have a slight allergy to wool. It's only really an issue round my neck and chest. It's fine while I'm knitting, touching my hands - I'm thinking "mmm how lovely and soft this is". Then I swing it round my neck and oh how it itches. I just need to admit (properly) to myself that this is a problem and avoid 100% wool for certain garments. Scarves. Jumpers.

I really want a good project to use this yarn with. The colours really are just yummy and it was just a thoughtful gift. Legwarmers? Fair-isle legwarmers?

10 comments:

Veronique said...

Oh no! Had I known, I would'v enever gotten you wool! I suppose you could make a felted bag.

Anonymous said...

Wow that blue makes me think of mermaids. Mermaids eating chocolate.

Anonymous said...

Love the colors and I really like the diamond pattern... I like Veronique's idea for a bag!

Gina said...

It seems such an afflition -- a knitter with a wool allergy. I know this is not uncommon, but it does seem so unfair and a bit mean of the universe.

Sarah said...

Is there enough for a small lap blanket? Or some felted slippers? Those colors are too gorgeous to never wear out of the house though.

Anonymous said...

I too have an only slight wool allergy. It is so frustrating because you keep thinking it'll be ok but then when it comes to wearing things for more than a few hours it's driving you nuts!

I have a huge pile of wool in my stash I can't really use. It's so depressing. I really should get rid of some of it.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Legwarmers should be ok though, if your legs aren't so sensitive and you have them over socks anyway. I hope you find the right project - that yarn is so lovely!

Amy said...

I love the color combination, as it is what I'm using for my own (very unfinished) exchecquered...

What about awesome double-knit mittens and a hat or something, would that bother your allergy?

Anonymous said...

I like the double knit mittens idea - then you could aviod fair isle. No one likes fair isle.

Anonymous said...

Something about that almost-argyle diamond pattern... plus, probably, the turquoise... definitely makes me think of legwarmers.

I wish that legwarmers would make the jump from in/out to always in. They're incredibly sensible garments. I should just find a way to knit a pair that looks normal.