Sunday, March 02, 2008

belated v-day post

marcus in hat

EDITED to add: bobble = pompom (for those not familiar with English-English).

A few months ago my boyfriend and I had a minor disagreement over a bobble hat. We were on a boat, it was cold, and we'd just spotted another passenger knitting a stripy hat, surrounded by her family members wearing identical ones (all with bobbles).

Marcus: Ooo, you could knit me a hat.
Me: [suddenly quite elated] Knit? You? A request? And you'd wear it??
Marcus: Yeah, you could knit me a hat, I'd like that. Keep my head warm. Go on, knit me a hat. Please.
Me: Of course my love! [starts to mentally add to her ravelry queue]. I could do cables, or fair-isle, you know some really complex patterns...
Marcus: [interrupting] Ye-es. But, you know, with a bobble.
Me: [pause, then imagine the next word like Lady Bracknell says handbag] A bobble?
Marcus: [smiling, goodnaturedly]. Yeah, a bobble, I like bobbles.
Me: But bobbles are horrible and childish. I don't like bobbles. I want to knit cables, or fair isle, and a bobble would just ruin it [pouts].
Marcus: [misjudging my attitudes to bobbles slightly, trying to look cute and and taking on the voice of some kids tv show character] Bobble, bobble, bobble, bobble.
Me: [looks in another direction in disgust].

Now, a few months passed, I'm over not being able to knit him something more technically challenging. Deciding the most romantic presents are always those based on a fight, I swallowed all pride and made him a bobble hat for valentine's day. Project ravelled here.

I started as a basic top-down hat, planning ear flaps and a garter-rim. Then I realised this was basically the same as brooklyn tweed's modification of thorpe to dk-weight, but with stripes. I lengthened the odd bit here and there (and added the bobble) but basically its the same. And, I have to admit it, I think the bobble actually adds to this pattern. It lifts the eye at top of the piece a little, and so stops it from making the head look a bit flat.

I used Rowan Scottish Tweed (a ball of each) because I wanted to see how he'd react to 100% wool. I'm going to knit him a jumper for next winter, and I thought this could be a good test of his skin sensitivity. I figure I can always line a hat, but it's harder with a jumper.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooo what a cutie! ;)

peaknits said...

Glad you guys got past the bobble disagreement - because the hat is great! Cute boyfriend too;) Appears to really like his hat.

spajonas said...

i was so confused by the bobble! we call them pompoms here in the states :) regardless of semantics, it's a very nice hat! i'm sure he wears it and adores it.

startare said...

Showed the resident violinist the photo of the bobble hat. He said "oh my god!" and found it hard to believe that some guys actually ask for knitted valentine gifts.Well, some girls have all the luck and the cute boyfriends...

Christie said...

Aw...cute!

melissa said...

ooh, what a great hat! he looks adorable in it!

my girlfriend is forever requesting items that aren't the least bit exciting to knit. i'm learning though, that the exciting part is that she wears them all the time, because they're just what she wanted.

Stacey said...

that is so cute!!!! love the bobble!

wazz said...

Great hat! -- I'm intrigued that it was what sounds like a family of identical hat wearin' gnomes that made Marcus desire The Bobble. Will you have to sport one too now? And add em to the headwear of other friends and family?

raining sheep said...

Nice! A seriously cool hat!

Knittripps said...

Very nice! Hy husband has been asking for a hat. He doesn't care if it has a bobble he tells me but "it must have earflaps".

carolyn says said...

it's a lovely (if contentious) bobble

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Why must you deny the power of the bobble? Resistance is futile--embrace it now!

Kris said...

The colors are awesome together! And you're right, the bobble really does add to the hat! Makes it look a little more fun and everything too!

Elemmaciltur said...

Cute! So, how did he react to the wool?

Veronique said...

What a cute hat! I must admit that I got confused about the pompom/bobble issue... And, how could you not like pompoms/bobbles?! Remember the Eliiphamton herringbon mitten pattern? The one where she instructs you that you *must* knit a pompom? :)

Anonymous said...

Result: an happy boyfriend with a simple but heart-made hat!

Jessica said...

I hope this does not seem rude. Let me preface by saying that my boyfriend is also adorable and I have no designs on oggling other boys. But it has to be said: what a CUTIE you have there!

Ok, hope that wasn't rude.
:)

Oakley Active Sunglasses said...

Oakley active sunglasses have a special design of the lens,which can help to protect the eyes from damage. This will ensure the safety of the athletes, and at the same time in their sports participation.

экскурсии в барселоне said...

This won't really have effect, I consider like this.

www.leon-3d.com said...

For my part every person ought to go through it.