Tuesday, July 25, 2006

re-invention



Pattern: my own, titled "Boyfriend socks"
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shephard Sock solid in "pewter"
Needles: my trusty 2mm 80cm circular addis

I finished these just around the knitty deadline. It was a simple pattern but fun to knit so I thought I might as well submit it. I didn't have time to sort a proper photo shoot though, so the pics were a bit rubbish.

I got back from holiday from an email from Amy Singer saying she loved the socks but knew I could do better pictures. I agreed so asked Marcus if he'd model.

It was one of those "hottest for 100 years" days London has been having a lot of recently. Not a day for wool socks. Not even really even a day for shoes (though the streets were melting in places so bare feet might have been messy). He got very board while I fiddled round his feet and generally got embarrassed at people looking at us but stoically read his book while I snapped away.

I took some much better photos. Amy liked them too. Hooray. Then she sent them for tech editing and Mandy instantly spotted how similar they were to the log cabin socks in Handknit Holidays.

I google-image searched "log cabin socks". The Knitty team are right, boyfriend and log cabin apply the same stitch pattern (which is basically a twist on a ribbed cable, I said this pattern was simple...) - I completely agree it'd be inappropriate for Knitty to include my design.

Still, from reading blog entries on the log cabins I think they are quite different in construction, so my pattern notes might still be worth sharing. I'll try and have a look at the Handknit Holiday's book and then might post my pattern up on the blog.

arhhlines on dockart behind himfor love

17 comments:

Laura said...

I love them! It's so hard to find a good sock pattern for guys.

--Laura

spajonas said...

the socks look great! wow, that tech editor has quite the eye for patterns. but i suppose it was better that they caught it before publishing. i still think that since yours has a different construction you should offer it as a free pattern. why not?!

Gina said...

Fantastic pattern!

Anonymous said...

They really look great! I didn't even think about log cabin socks!

FemiKnitMafia said...

They're lovely. Can't wait to hear how it all comes together, because this would be a great pattern.

Amy said...

They do look great! I could see making them for my boyfriend... He appreciates knitted items.

And I concur, they do look a lot like the handknit holidays socks; probably better that they are not included.

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely socks. I don't know the Log Cabin socks you refer to, but it's a shame that yours can't be in Knitty. And Marcus is such a good sport to hang around in wool socks on a hot summer day. Great pictures!

noblinknits said...

Crikey - I can't remember the last time I wore socks in London, it's been hot for so long. I like the look of the patterna nd don't own Handknit Holidays so I vote that you offer it for free.

Dave said...

I like yours better than the Log Cabin socks, which are kind of chunky looking -- worsted weight or bigger? Not sure. Yours look much more .... polished. I'm looking forward to reading more about them :-)

Veronique said...

Oh no! You were so close to being in Knitty again! Obviously, the socks in Handknit Holidays have a larger gauge...

Hannah said...

A bit of a disappointment, I'm sure. They are so cute!

knitzalot said...

I've been planning on making the log cabin socks for my husband, but I like these so much better.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, do give us the pattern.

Anonymous said...

they look great! Coincidentally, I was talking with a knitting friend at lunch today about loving those socks in the Handknit Holidays, but couldn't imagine knitting socks with size 5 (or 6?) needles, so thought that might be my first test of figuring out how to make my own gauge changes...but, it would be infinitely simplier to create with your pattern! Please do share! thanks!

Wendy DG said...

I think your boyfriend socks are awesome. So there's "nothing new in the universe", there's always a better way of doing things! Nice work.

PURLPOWER said...

These socks are brilliant, masculine yet not boring to knit. I hope you get the pattern published soon, I would love to knit some men socks that weren't just plain stocking stitch.

muebles zamora said...

The guy is absolutely fair, and there is no suspicion.