Friday, May 05, 2006

Hedera's finished

pink hedera socks on flower fabric
Needles - I chose to challenge myself to a whole pair on dpns without breaking out the magic loop and I managed it. Its slower. My knitting fell off them in my bag. The switching needles thing is slightly annoying. Make that very annoying - who wants a fist-full of pointy sticks when sliding across the addi turbo cable is so smooth? There is one advantage - its easier to fix things mid-round. But that's about it. I think I'll stick to the magic loop.

hedera again, by windowHedera pattern - nice. Decent lace socks. Like Pomatomus, but simpler. It's hard to find something to rave about in them - they're just, well, nice. That said, it's not exactly a fair test to compare with Pom's, and the lace pattern does look great considering how easy it is. Personally, I think the small lace repeats would look better with a short row heel, but I know some people hate the short-rows.

Yarn - Jaeger Matchmaker. Not the most durable for socks, but soft and warm with pretty good definition. It was left over from another project, else I would have chosen a grey. There is something stoney about that pattern makes me think it should be grey. Don't know why - I find non-green Pomatomi a bit unsettling too.

hedera in a pile of brown scarvesNext projects? A kate for a friend's toddler, and getting through some of my sock yarn stash with a bit of mindless jaywalking. I have a more interesting sock plan coming up, but that'll have to wait till my non-knitting life is a bit easier. Plus its secret. Shhh.

14 comments:

spajonas said...

oooh, i like them! these are the first hederas i'm seeing finished and the lace pattern is quite nice. and, they look so much more inviting on a real person! (the fake leg they are modeled on just doesn't show them off like your real legs do.)

Anonymous said...

Nice Hederas! I agree with all of your reasons why socks on DPNs are a pain, yet I keep knitting them that way. Ah, masochism.

Anonymous said...

I've seen a few Hedera WIPs, but sure this is the first FO.

I agree with what gleek said about the fake leg photos

Anonymous said...

I'm a flap-knitter myself. Short row heels don't fit nearly so well

ofpinsandneedles said...

They're lovely! Very pretty in pink. I know what you mean about the grey, but it must feel good to have used what you have.

Kelly said...

You're one speedy knitter!

I have the wool set aside for these but two pairs in progress and not enough needles...

Great colour choice too!

Emma said...

They're beautiful. Can't wait to see what the secret knitting plan is!

*karen said...

When I first saw this post, I tried thinking of something to say other than, 'No fair, everyone but me has knit a pair of socks.' Yes, yes, it's always about me :o). Nice lookin' socks, btw.

Gina said...

I did my first pair of socks (sportweight) via Magic Loop, which I found easy enough. I'm now doing a pair in regular sock yarn on DPNs, and I'm not sure that I like it. My next pair will probably be a foray into the 2 circs. I have a feeling I will return to ML.

Anonymous said...

What do you think about two circulars? I haven't tried magic loop, but I really like two circulars and won't go back to double points (though I've only fully knitted one sock). Your photos are terrific, by the way.

Anonymous said...

pretty sock! I love the pink yarn.

kathy b said...

They are lovely lovely lovely. Thank you for sharing the pattern Hederas. Anything with the word easier catches my eye! Great color as well. I love lace effect on a pure colorway. Shows the work better, I think, than a varigated or striped yarn

gray la gran said...

i think nice is good. not all of our socks need to scream look at me ! they will be on my "to knit" list soon! and, i'm trying out the magic loop. i certainly am enjoying the benefits, though i'm still new at it.

Anonymous said...

I tried magic loop for the first time a week or so ago, and I have to say I prefer dpns. One thing about magic loop that I don't like so much is that the stitches where you change needles tend to be inordinately tight.

Not that I'm giving up on magic loop right away. I have yet to do a sock toe-up, and it seems to me that magic loop would work much easier than dpns, at least getting started.