Monday, May 01, 2006

New Magknits, old friends

EDIT: please note, since the demise of Magknits, the pattern is now only available on ravelry (leave a message here with your email address if you're not on ravelry, and I'll see what I can do).

This scarf has a history that's not in the pattern notes I'd like to say a bit about.

I made it for Veronique, who I was Secret Pal for in SP7. I found an old post on her blog saying she'd done the DNA cable scarf as a thank for her supervisor when she finished her PhD and thought I should make this for her.

So, the pictures of the pattern layed out so you can see the helix were taken in London, mainly at a really funky old Science/ Anthropology museum* near where I live but the ones of Veronique are from the whole other side of the Ocean, taken in very New World science surroundings of the university she works in.

It's actually the second DNA illusion scarf I made. The first was a grey and blue one for my friend Gaetan. I did it about a year ago, when he left the Science Museum (where at the time I also worked, we'd started together in Oct 1999).

Geatan used to be a geneticist and was famous for his "fruity DNA" hands on activity, aside from that the museum holds THE Watson and Crick DNA model (actually they hold at least two, but that's another story) which Geatan and I had walked past everyday.

Soon, I'm going to start a sock version of the design, for another ex-Museum person. But that's a bday present, so (slightly) secret.

* the Horniman for anyone interested, don't worry its all politically correct 21st anthropology now.

24 comments:

ofpinsandneedles said...

Thanks for pointing this out, Alice! I skimmed past it in Magknits but am now definitely going to knit it for my boyfriend who studied biology at Imperial and is particularly interested in applied genetics! I'd been planning to knit the DNA cable scarf but this looks an ideal first foray into colourwork, and it's nice to know it's designed by someone with such a lovely blog.

spajonas said...

that's a great scarf :) it was interesting to see the DNA pop right out when you turned the scarf on its side. very dramatic in person!

msubulldog said...

I love your DNA scarf! I knit the DNA cable scarf for my biologist sister last year. Not sure she's going to get two DNA scarves in a row, though--this one may have to be for me. *grin* I sent her the link and I'm sure she'll be as excited to see it as I was. I can't wait to see DNA socks!!! :)
--Amanda

karenology said...

Just saw this in MagKnits and it looks awesome! I also love that it is named for Rosalind Franklin, the forgotten genius behind the double helix. Great job.

Sarah said...

I'd not seen this before -- it's so very cool. I have a geneticist friend who is moving to Edinburgh soon and this would make a great gift for her. AND I think I can use stash yarn to make it.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I love that scarf! I'm a geneticist so really really want that. The only thing I've ever knitted was a scarf I did using only knit stitch (or whatever basic thing you learn in primary school), but this might be worth learning to follow patterns for!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful pattern. I've been wanting to make a DNA scarf but have thought it too obvious. This is a more subtle and fun pattern!

Ashley said...

I love any and all props for Rosalind Franklin. This scarf rocks!

Anonymous said...

Supercool! I've been wanting to make oan "illusion" scarf and this is a perfect motif.

Nik said...

that beaded i-cord bracelet is really nice. When i read on the magknits website that you were getting a Ph.D. in something other than science, I had to head over here to find out why you'd designed the DNA scarf. I'm a molecular biologist and I wish that my friends would make me such unique gifts.

Well done.

Oh, and ROSALIND WAS SCREWED!!!I hate that they stole her data and used it to come up with the structure for DNA.

Men.

misplacedpom said...

Oh My! You'd never guess it, but I work at the institution pictured and just about had a fit when I saw that scientists crossing sign on Magknits! I don't know of any other knitters here at said institution, but if would be possible I'd love to meet up with Veronique. I'm going to be here for the next five years and it'd be good to have a fiber buddy!

June Owatari said...

I saw this in MagKnits before I read your blog and decided that I might knit this one day, and now I'm all excited 'cause I read your blog too. Haha. Good job on the pattern!

Anonymous said...

Super cool scarf and use of illusion knitting! I love it!!
(Of course, I'm another knitting scientist, too...)

Anonymous said...

just saying what the other's have really - that scarf rocks!

lille_ma said...

I love your scarf too! I'm a biochemist myself, but I have never thought of the DNA-chain could be done in illusion knitting!

FemiKnitMafia said...

Congrats! Well done.

Anonymous said...

i think its cool too, and I'm NOT a scientist

Gina said...

Congratulations on your MagKnits pattern. As an aside, I love your tattoos. Did you know that your secret pal Veronique recently got some star tattoos as well? It's funny how "in sync" strangers can be.

Jen (pieKnits) said...

Congrats on the pattern- I love it! I've been eyeing the DNA cable scarf but really like the look of illusion knitting. This is now on my list!

Anonymous said...

Hi, first time commenter here. :)
I followed the link from Magknits, and... OMG, you're the awesome illusion-knitted heart-socks person!

I am still working up the courage to work on those socks... illusion-knitted DNA socks would be out of this world, though!

Woolly Wormhead said...

Hey, cool scarf! You live near the Horniman? It's been a while since I've visited, and I've a soft spot for the place.

Pig wot flies said...

Ooh, clever! I like it. I've just clicked that we've met. The XChange, BA Festival, Salford, 2003. I wasn't really a knitter then. Were you? Come and say hi.

Bekki

buy caverta online said...

Hi,
Nice scarf.. Really like it..Thanks for sharing this information...

buy caverta online said...

Hi,
Nice scarf.. Really like it..Thanks for sharing this information...